This week we were tasked to dive into professional development through the hands on experience of EdCamps. Unfortunately, I was unable to be in person for this experience, so I will be critically reflecting on the videos I watched this week and suggesting possible topics for assignments 2: Education Technology Presentation.

What is EdCamp?

EdCamp is a conference to learn about and contribute a voice to innovated change (EdCamp Victoria, 2015). The topics held in the sessions can range anywhere for using technology in classrooms to discussing Indigenous resurgance. Throuhgout this day educators, participants, and leaders all have a chance to share their ideas. What is interesting about this model is that no one needs to be an expert to facilitate or share their ideas. This is because it is an innovated model for professional learners that is completely driven by the participants, not one knowledge keeper. See the video below for more information.

Why EdCamp?

So why are EdCamp so effective with students and educators?

Well for starters, the model that everyone can be a facilitator without the added stress of having to be an expert is excellent. This model is far more equitable and effective than having one presenter and 30 listeners. I also believe that EdCamps are powerful because they allow participants from various backgrounds and experiences to all pose questions and then break off into rooms regarding their interests levels. Additionally, EdCamps are often free for all attendees, which helps ensure that all different types of educators and stakeholders can attend (Swanson, 2016). In short, EdCamps are essential because they focus on collaboration and connections, group expertise, tech tools, and instructional design (Swanson, 2016). If you are interested in seeing more research on why EdCamps are effective visit this website.

Edcamp Literacy: The “Unconference” Within Conference
EdCamp Literacy. 2018

Possible Research Topics

Now that I’ve gathered some information on EdCamps and professional development, I wanted to start to pose possible research topics for assignment 2. Traditionally, when I do inquiries for school implementation or teaching models, I tend to gravitate towards socio-emotional regulation or outdoor education. However, this project is specifically designed to research prominent technology inquiry questions. Therefore I will propose some possible topics today and in the coming week will decide on a solid question to begin researching with my partner.

Inquiry | Chris' E-Portfolio

Here are some possibilities:

• Where do technology and outdoor education intersect?
  • How young should students be exposed to technology in schools?
  • Can technology augment classroom culture and environment?
  • What barriers are there in implementing Ed Tech tools with students with additional support needs?
  • How early should we be discussing safety concerns for using technology?
  • What role if any does gaming have in k-12 classrooms?