Since most of my blogs have been highlighting the benefits of implementing a cozy corners in classroom, I wanted to switch directions this week. Just because there is a large discourse online praising how calm corners have revolutionized classrooms, that does not mean there aren’t opposing arguments.

Screen Cast

With that being said I also wanted to be transparent in my research of the “dark side” of cozy corners so I have decided to document by process through screen casting. Lets see what I find out….

Cozy Corner Cautions

No Luck… How Come?

Well, well, well I guess my argument that cozy corners are essential and have endless benefits in classroom is sound-proof and solid. Though I wish this were the case, I do not believe that there are no downsides to implementing cozy corners. But then why did I not find any “horror” stories or accounts of negative experiences of educators using this practice in their classrooms?

I’ve got a few idea why:

• I did not put the time in doing a comprehensive search using more than just google as a browser
  • Educators may prefer sharing helpful resources/experiences than unpleasant ones
  • Shaming/Negative reviews may have been deleted to ensure that the paid resources and toolkits that educators are promoting are profitable
  • Or simply, that educators are sharing their experiences word to mouth and not digitally

Negative Implications I predict

Though not explicitly documented there are several negative implications I see when trying to implement cozy corners in classrooms and school spaces. Below I have included a few ideas that I see happening if educators do not take the time to explain the rules and reasons why the cozy corner should be used.

CDC | Using Time-Out | Essentials | Parenting Information
CDC. Using Time-Out
  1. Children think going to the cozy corner is a punishment
  2. Children go to the cozy corner to escape/ get out of doing work they do not enjoy
  3. Children argue about who gets to go to the cozy corner
  4. Children refuse to leave the cozy corners and shut down when inside
  5. Children learn that if they go to the cozy corner they can avoid having to talk about their feelings or participate in conflict resolution
  6. Children from other classes think it is unfair that their class does not have a “cool” space
  7. Children refuse to go to the calm down corner
  8. Parents question the motive of the space and think it is too childish
  9. Students believe this space is for “bad” students or only students with diverse needs

What do students think?

Throughout my entire inquiry ive been researching educators and parents accounts of calm down corners, but what do children think? Below ive included a video where students share their experiences with using calm down corners.

Calming Corners. KCS TV.

Visit the SCDC website for more information on accounts of children’s experiences with calm down corners.

NEXT WEEK..

I will be exploring if calm down corners can be used in outdoor education settings and if so how do they work?