Non-Tech Savvy Girl

Week 4: Social Media and Privacy

What was the most interesting thing you found when you googled yourself?
This week when we were task to learn more about privacy and our own google footprint, I was quite surprised what I found. Not only did it pop up with images of myself, but all my social media accounts were also linked. What was interested was all my social media accounts are private, so I was very shocked when my social media images still appeared from high school. Additionally, I was quite surprised that I found images of myself as a youth playing soccer at the provincials. In short, I quickly realized that I have a larger digital footprint than I imagined. With that in mind, it reminded me of how careful I need to be with what I put out on social media in my personal life and as I move into my teaching practice. Below I will include some images I found when I simply searched “Jade Nemeth”.

Will you change your use of social media after the talk with Jesse Miller?

Simply after doing a google search, I made sure all my social media was private and I will change the handles so it would be more challenging for students or others to find my profiles. Additionally, it reinforced the idea I already had about digital blueprints and the importance of educating students on the dangers or posting or downloading. Similarly, after the talk and Q & A with Jesse Miller, I will be more cautions will how I use and navigate social media.

Could video creation be effective learning resource and/or class activity at the grade level I hope to teach (with learners creating their own videos)?

As mentioned last week see blog So… Screencast as a kindergarten teacher, I find these video creation activities to not be as effective as a learning resource than it could be in say a grade 8 classroom. This is because kindergarten can be the first formal education children have received, thus there is already so much curriculum and behaviour reinforcements to cover. Further, I think kindergarten should be centred in child inquiry and outdoor play, not focused on technology or video creation. However, it still could be possible to integrate video creation with say slide shows at the end of the year.

In lieu of reflecting on this week I created a Slow Motion Video:

Slow Motion Video
« »