Now that I’ve narrowed down my inquiry, it is time to explore cozy corners. After a quick google search, I have created a list of descriptors to understand the dynamics of this space.

Cozy corners are a space students can go:

• When they feel “safe”
  • To calm down/de-escalate
  • Take space to solve a problem
  • When they feel various emotions such as (sad, mad, frustrated, nervous, tired, etc..)
  • To take a break from the environment they are currently in
Unsplash Stock Image

What do I need for set up?

* Rug, Pillows, Blankets and/or a combination of comfy materials
* Stuffed Animals (depending on grade level)
* Timers 
* Feeling Poster
* Comforting Books
* Sensory Tools (breathing balls, fidgets, calming toys)
* Problem Solving Visuals     

If you are looking for more information on setting up a cozy safe visit the website I've linked here

What will it look like?

Well that depends on your classroom, the needs of your students, the budget of your school, and the culture of your school. Ideally, your cozy space should be co-created with students to ensure it is a space where everyone feels comforted, welcomed, and aware of how to use the space.

But where do I begin???

As teachers, we already feel overwhelmed with how little time we have in the classroom and how MUCH we have to do. Setting up a cozy corner may seem like an another overwhelming task you have to add to your already busy week. Therefore, I want to add as many resources as I can each week to encourage you to question if a cozy corner could ameliorate your classroom. This youtube video with provide you with some additional pointers in setting up your cozy corner.

Next week, I will be writing about the WHY?